Upgrade to Gold following Ulsters 2017
The following sailors have been upgraded to Gold following Ulsters 2017:
- Lucy Bateman (RCYC)
- Jessica Riordan (RStGYC)
- Rocco Wright (HYC)
- Killian Reidy (TBSC & FYC)
- Kei Walker (RStGYC)
- Louis-Marie Jullo (NYC)
- Finn Cleary (RIYC)
The reason for the Silver/Gold split is to provide recognition and encouragement for Irish sailors who are new and/or improving but who may not be achieving top results yet.
- All sailors start out as Silver when entering the Main Fleet (regardless of Junior / Senior).
- Prizes are given to the top 5 Silver finishers in both the Junior and Senior fleets at the four regionals and the National Championships.
- Upgrade from Silver to Gold — two possible paths:
- A sailor is upgraded to Gold after their second top 5 Silver finish in the four regionals and /or National Championships in the Main Fleet. For clarity, for most sailors, the two top 5’s will be in the same year in the same fleet (Junior or Senior) – but this is not required. The two top 5 finishes can be in different years and even in different fleets.
- A sailor is upgraded to Gold if they make a team at Trials.
- Once a sailor is Gold, they are Gold for the remainder of their Oppy career (i.e., they do not revert to Silver when moving from Junior to Senior).
- The Crosby Cup event is open to Silver sailors ONLY & Regatta fleet sailors.
- Foreign sailors registered at Irish events are considered Gold sailors.