Association’s Children’s Officer name:
IODAI is committed to safeguarding children and by working under the guidance of our Safeguarding Policies our volunteers and employed coaches, working with our young people, seek to create a safe environment for young people to grow and develop within sport. The following set of principles are adhered to:
- Importance of childhood – The importance of childhood is understood and valued by everyone involved in our sport.
- Needs of the child – All children’s sport experiences is guided by what is best for children. This means that adults have a basic understanding of the emotional, physical and personal needs of young people.
- Integrity in relationships – Adults interacting with children in sport are in a position of trust and influence. They should always ensure that children are treated with integrity and respect, and the self-esteem of young people is enhanced.
- Fair Play – All children’s sport should be conducted in an atmosphere of fair play. The principles of fair play should always be emphasised, and organisers should give clear guidelines regarding acceptable standards of behaviour.
- Quality atmosphere & ethos – Children’s sport should be conducted in a safe, positive and encouraging atmosphere.
- Competition – Competition is an essential element of sailing and is encouraged in an age appropriate manner. A child centred ethos helps to ensure that competition and specialisation are kept in their appropriate place.
- Equality – All children are valued and treated in an equitable and fair manner regardless of ability, age, gender, religion, social and ethnic background or political persuasion.
Link to full IODAI Safeguarding Statement.