2019 Teams & Squads Update (updated 27.4.19 – IDT gender requirements)
NB – a correction has been made to the gender mix requirements for IDT#1 and IDT#2. It was previously stated that the maximum for a single gender was four. This was incorrect. The ratio will be the same as previous years, ie a maximum of five sailors of a single gender. The error has been corrected in the text below.
Teams and Squads
This year IODAI will select five teams to represent Ireland at international events; the Worlds Team, Euros Team, International Development Team 1 (IDT#1), International Development Team 2 (IDT#2) and the Under 12 Squad. It should be noted that IDT#2 will not feature as a team after this year.
Team Destinations & Coaches
- The Worlds Team will compete in IODA’s World Championships in Antigua (coach – Dara O’Shea)
- The Euros Team will compete in IODA’s European Championships in Crozone, France (coach – Thomas Chaix)
- IDT#1 will compete in Nieuwpoort Week, Belgium (coach – Adam Darcy)
- IDT#2 will compete in the Europeans Test Event in Crozon, France (coach – Thomas Chaix)
- Under 12 Squad will compete in the British Optimist Open Championships, Weymouth, England (head coach – Adam Darcy, assistant coach – Sophie Browne)
Team selection will be based on the results achieved by our members at the Trials (except for the Under 12 Squad which has already been selected based on 2018 rankings). The selection shall be made as follows:
- The top five finishers in the 2019 Trials will be selected to go the Worlds. Any places not taken up will be offered to the next ranked/eligible sailor until the team is filled
- The next seven sailors will be selected to go to the Europeans. A maximum of four sailors of a single gender will be offered places. Again, any places not taken up (or denied under the gender cut-off requirements) will be offered to the next ranked/eligible sailor
- The next seven sailors will be selected to go to IDT#1. A maximum of five sailors of a single gender will be offered places. Again, places not taken up (or denied under the gender cut-off requirements) will be offered to the next ranked/eligible sailor. Sailors who have previously sailed in Worlds, Euros or IDT France, will not be eligible
- The next seven sailors will be selected to go to IDT#2. A maximum of five sailors of a single gender will be offered places. Again, any places not taken up (or denied under the gender cut-off requirements) will be offered to the next ranked (or eligible) sailor. Sailors who have previously sailed in Worlds, Euros or IDT France or IDT Poland will not be eligible
- Sailors may elect to forego a position on a team and instead join a team below which their result entitled them. The gender/eligibility rules will continue to apply.
- As stated above, the Under 12 Squad has already been selected
Only sailors of Oppie age 12 or over are eligible to participate in any IODAI team other than the Under 12 Squad.
In the event of a sailor being unable to compete in a number of races, an IODAI appointed committee (the ‘Selection & Placing Review Committee (“SPRC”)) may, at their discretion, award him/her (a) average points for those races or (b) a place on a team. The SPRC will be chaired by a director of IODAI or a suitably independent and qualified person, and will consist of the chairman and two IODAI Committee members whose sailor(s) must not be effected by any decision reached. It should be emphasised that this action will only be taken in regard to a sailor who, in the opinion of the SPRC, would have been one of the top performing sailors in the Trials as clearly demonstrated by their performance in the Trial races in which they sailed. It must be emphasised that the circumstances which prevent a sailor from competing will have to be compelling and absolute, and if appropriate, supported by such medical evidence as the SPRC may require.
The Optimist Dinghy Sailing Association of Ireland Ltd reserve the right to change the selection process and eligibility rules, however once the first race is completed, this can only be done by the SPRC.
- Worlds – 4th,5th,6th May and the 11th & 12th May (Cork)
- Euros – 1st, 2nd, 3rd June (Dublin)
- IDT#1 – 1st, 2nd, 3rd June (Dublin)
- IDT#2 – 1st, 2nd, 3rd June (Dublin)
- U12 Squad – 18th & 19th May and the 22nd & 23rd June (Dublin)
All sailors must commit to take part in the pre-event training clinics in Ireland. Non commitment will result in a denial of place on the team.
The costs of the various teams are currently being determined. Approximate costs per sailor, based on previous experience are as follows:
- Worlds – circa €
- Euros – circa €
- IDT#1 – circa €
- IDT#2 – circa €
- U12 Squad – circa €
An initial payment of an estimate amount will be required to secure a sailor’s place on a team. This initial payment will be required to clear the association’s bank account by Wednesday 1st May. Failure to do so will result in the place being given to the next ranked/eligible sailor. A final payment may be required to settle the account.
A sailors withdrawal or forfeiture of a team place will incur a penalty of 25% of the sailor’s expected team cost, plus any expenses incurred by IODAI in reshuffling teams (e.g. flight change charges)
Other terms & conditions
Sailors must conform with the code of conduct for sailors and must not bring IODAI, Irish Sailing or their fellow sailors into disrepute. Persistent bad behaviour will result in disciplinary proceedings and may result in the sailors removal from the team, suspension of membership or expulsion from IODAI.
Parents travelling to the event must stay at another hotel/venue. Parents must not be in the boat park while sailors are rigging their boats and preparing to sail.
Call for Sponsorship
The Association is greatly thankful for both the public and private sponsorships received in previous years and would greatly welcome any sponsorships/support for the 2019 teams. Please contact the Honorary Secretary should you wish to contribute to the development of our young sailors.