Calling all Optimist Sailors to reduce your use of plastic.
As an organisation IODAI have signed The United Nations Environments Clean Seas campaign pledge www.cleanseas.org. Here we have committed to minimise the use of plastic in our activities.
A few facts about plastic pollution
- 8 million tonnes of plastic leak into the ocean each year
- Marine litter harms over 600 marine species including Whales, dolphins, jellyfish, starfish and many more types of creatures that live in the sea.
- If we don’t act now there will be more plastic than fish in the seas
As Optimist sailors we have the privilege of having the sea as our playground. We need to do our part to keep it clean and to help protect the species that live in it.
We need to look after the seas we sail in. Here are some things we can do:
- Say no to plastic straws
- Use refillable water bottles
- Remember our reusable bags
- Tell our friends to help too
The sea provides us with our playground, let’s play our part in trying to Turn the Tide on Plastic.