Optimist New Year Clinic in Fenit
After the successful First edition of the Dinghy New Year Clinic & Coached Regatta 2017, the Tralee Bay Maritime Centre will be running the 2018 New year clinic from January 2nd to January 6th.
Open to all Optimist sailors, regatta, transition and main fleet alike, it is great opportunity to train, enjoy friends and have fun in the mildest conditions for this time of the year. The coaches line up has a mix of international experience and Irish talent. The team is led by Centre development manager (and former Irish national coach) Thomas Chaix.
As well as Optimists, the clinic also caters for Lasers, Toppers and 29er thus giving older siblings and recent optimist retirees the opportunities to reunite with friends and train on the same location.
- Venue of the 2018 Munsters
- Mildest waters for winter training (gulf stream)
- Sheltered enough in most conditions
- Relaxing or action packed activities for parents and younger siblings (great outdoors, aquadome, Killarney park only 30 mins away, Dingle aquarium…)
Your lead coaches for the optimist groups:
Thomas Chaix, 40, former ISA national coach, IODAI main coach-advisor with un-disputed best performance outcomes with Irish optimist sailors in last 12 years
Tugdual Caret, 26, from St Malo, France, Lead optimist coach in St Malo with experince bringing his team to various international and national events with 2 of his sailors top ranked in France.
Douglas Elmes, 19, former member of the Optimist national squad, top ranked Irish sailor at Optimist worlds in 2012, ISAF YW medalist (420), Feelance coach (RIYC)
The team is completed by enthusiastic qualified instructors and possibly another international coach depending on numbers.
- Banna beach resort, self catering units (swimming pool) – 10-12 mins drive
- West end B&B (Fenit)- walking distance
- Tralee hotels – 10-15 mins drive
- Jan 02: start at 12.00 Welcome brief & short session afloat in afternoon. End at 17.00
- Jan 03: start at 9.00. Full day training. End at 16.30
- Jan 04: start at 9.00. Full day training. End at 16.30
- Jan 05: start at 9.00. Full day training. End at 16.30
- Jan 06: start at 9.00. Regatta day (FG at 11.00 after short pre-race routines). End afloat at 14.30 followed by debrief of races and prizes giving.
You can register directly on the Tralee Bay Maritime Centre website. Alternatively you can email Thomas at Thomas.firstname.lastname@example.org